Friday, September 12, 2008

Day 9: God Is Love. And God Is Good.

A regular morning led to more alphabetizing led to more tiredness among the working oyibos. I’m glad to know that this tedious task is almost over and then I am moving into my real role on staff at Faith Alive...although it will probably change daily! Pastor Ben asked if he “could take” me for the next three months, which I think is an awesome fit for someone interested in different types of ministry. We’ll see how that all works out. Joshua came and got my computer hooked up finally so I was able to get my blog started and check up on some e-mails. It is still strange getting used to the internet as my only real form of communication back home.

 

            Because of our mind-aching task, the heat, and the fact that it’s Friday we were allowed to go home early. This was the perfect opportunity for me to read more than half of The Kite Runner, one of the best reads I have picked up, which ultimately led me to deep thoughts about life and friendship and the role of God in our earthly spirituality. Khaled Hosseni (the author) has an insider’s take on what world religions are doing to God in order to justify their actions. Afghanistan is one of the many places where it has so easily been seen that man will cause harm to others in the name of the Most High and work on incorporating their religious beliefs into their humanly systems. I fall into that trap so many times with the “God will bless me if...”s or “I feel led to do...”s when really it is my own nature that wants to do these things. That always bugs me about us, the fact that we try to make every one of our decisions God’s when we knew deep down that we just wanted to do it ourselves. If a little prayer doesn’t make it fall apart than surely God has ordained it. Riiiight.

 

            So thinking through all these things and living in this new environment I keep wondering what it is that God wants to teach me. I’m sure it is a lot of things. But maybe it is not. I’ll just keep enjoying this adventure and allowing my mind to go places it sometimes doesn’t have the strength to go. Luckily I have an amazing man in my life who is wondering the same things so in an e-mail he shared this with me:

 

            God is love. And God is good.

 

            I’ll keep running with that...

No comments: