Sunday, November 9, 2008

Day 67: Suzuki? Are You Part Of A Wealthy Business Family?

            It never ceases that I wake up earlier than normal schedule on the weekends, but at least I don’t have to worry about setting an alarm. United Baptist’s service normally starts just after ten so I had some time to bum around this morning (read some of my book, a bucket bath, watch some miniseries about Mary Queen of Scots) before putting on my Nigerian outfit and grabbing my Bible. At Church this morning the pastor had asked Biana to pray for their mission’s offering so the two of us sat in the second row (as opposed to twentieth) and enjoyed being next to the older members of the congregation. Something that was extra exciting was a man who they seated up on stage with the pastors--and he was Japanese! Mr. Suzuki is the first Asian I have seen in over two months and I was so overjoyed to have some familiarity in the room. It turns out that he is one of the heads of Gideon International and travels the world distributing Bibles. He spoke for a few minutes and i honestly believe Biana and I were the only people in the room who understood his English through his thick accent. Oh, it made me feel at home. Thank the Lord I am starting to be able to pick up on the Pastor’s thick accent and was able to take a lot from his message on turning to God before turning to others. It seems that when I am in need, or frustrated, or confused it seems to be easiest to talk to a friend or family member before giving it all over to God. Of course I want to avoid contact with the only one who knows exactly what is going on. It gave me some encouragement though to realize that this is becoming a steady habit of mine and over the past few months have been making decisions based on God’s lead more than friend’s suggestions. I will always value the importance of talking to others; I just need to remember the order of the process.

 

            After church Biana and I wandered back to the flat where we each decided on a different menu for lunch. Biana fixed leftover rice and fish from dinner, Adrie made a tuna sandwich, and I made my awfully lopsided pancakes. We ate while we discussed missions, money, and Church; three topics that I have developed a lot of thoughts about during my time here. (I would write all these thoughts down now but will instead wait until I have the time to compose an essay...or novel) We spent a little time relaxing before taking care of some business back at the Clinic. Adrie and I got giddy with excitement when we found out Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova are playing down the street from our hostel in London but that soon turned to disappointment when we found out the only tickets left cost around £40. Like we have that much money for one concert. Oh well, we are still making some budget-friendly plans for those few days and I’m keeping my fingers crossed for tickets to see Josh Hartnett in Rain Man. Not for the Josh Hartnett part (although he has gotten fabulous reviews in this. And he’s cute.) but for the fact that Charlie is one of my favorite characters of all-time.

 

            We ended the evening with a final trip to the Net Cafe for dinner and ice cream. I ordered what I thought was the dish I had last time, but it turned out to be something different...and weird. Oh well, the cinnamon gelato tasted like Christmas and that was reason enough for me to eat there. Back at home Adrie and I danced off all of our meal and had fun listening to each other’s music. My stomach is really upset from yesterday’s dinner (after two meals and two horribly upset stomachs I have decided that the Hilltop Station is not a good place for me to eat) so I am going to get to sleep early. Honestly I don’t know if that helps at all, but I figured being unconscious would at least get my mind out of my tummy.

No comments: