Monday, November 3, 2008

Day 61: Don’t Forget The Lion King Songs! Those Are Probably The Most Important.

Adrie and I decided after breakfast this morning that we should stop by the discipleship class before heading to the Clinic. We walked over to the sewing school and helped set up the benches before everyone piled in. There was a good time of singing and praising, but I realized that I hadn’t seen Pastor Esther walk in yet. Once we stopped the music everyone took a seat. I was pulling out my Bible from my purse when I realized a roomful of eyes on me. I looked up to the smiles and Doris asked, “Why are you not up front yet?” They thought I was teaching! I asked where Pastor Esther was and they told me that she could not make it to class today, assuming that I had come as a substitute. Grabbing my Bible and saying a quick whole-hearted prayer I walked up to the front, took a seat, and started to talk. Recently I had read Matthew 5 and was able to bring up what it means to be salt and light on this earth. It was a brief discussion, not even fifteen minutes, but it seemed meaningful to think about: don’t lose your flavor, don’t lose your glow!

 

            The ladies are graduating from their class on Saturday so they informed me the rest of the time would be spent preparing a song they will sing. Leaving them to their music, Adrie was able to sit in on a counseling session and I headed upstairs to Biana’s office. She was quite busy this morning (ah, a typical Monday) but was able to let me know between people walking in and out that I was going to help Pastor Ben with the finishing touches on a curriculum for Discipleship Class. Jon and Kristen left me some papers with all the progress they had made, so I spent the time up until lunch reading over their materials and thinking through what questions still need to be answered.

 

            Lunch was good, as always, and all three of us headed back to Faith Alive for a full afternoon. I told Shola on Friday that he should stop by during break so we could start burning some music onto cds. Cheap or worthwhile music is hard to come by here, most cds are overpriced or burned from poor sources. Shola picked a nice selection of old-school Christian bands (AudioA, dc Talk, Newsboys) and a variety of Christmas music to add to his collection. I started the process but, since copying music takes time, he went back to the lab after three cds and I got looking for a good online curriculum to give us some ideas. I was successful in finding some helpful guidelines regarding discipleship topics, but a little annoyed that so many sites claiming to have discussion starters were all about buying expensive Bible studies! Adrie and I did some e-mailing, chatted with Joshua, and uploaded pictures before leaving when it started getting dark.

 

            Sweet potatoes for dinner were chased down with hot chocolate on the balcony, a good conversation about traveling, and more burning of cds. The final song has just been copied, so ten recordable cds later and Shola has a new music collection!  (I really hope these bands realize that I am not giving away their songs in vain!) I am tuckered out and ready for a good night’s sleep before MCC arrives in the morning.

No comments: