Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Day 69: Dr. Kanu Is ADMIRING Your Computer. Not Marrying.

Apparently I haven’t worked out my arms much here because I woke up this morning feeling as if I had been lifting weights in my sleep. I had bruises on my forearms where I caught boxes of Plumpy Nut being thrown at me and, even after trying to wash my shirt, decided it may be best to toss it. I hoped they wouldn’t ask us to hold signs or carry large babies at the Clinic--it just wasn’t going to happen.

 

            Thankfully I spent the morning putting my interview with Pastor Ben into article format, which takes a while with my writing habits. I read and reread things until I have picked a synonym for every word, rearrange every sentence, and then change it all back to the first thing I wrote. Luckily after a couple of hours I was satisfied with the outcome in time to leave for lunch. After eating I took my hour-long break to curl up on my bed and fall asleep. Hooray for Safari Snooze!

 

            Back at the Clinic I read through my article once more (just in case...) and e-mailed it to Fresno First. I spent the rest of my time working on the discipleship class curriculum in Joshua’s office with Adrie. Something that is fun about working in there is the fact that twenty minutes can’t go by without someone dropping in to talk to Joshua--and then being forced to talk to us since we are sitting in there. Dr. Kanu graced us with his presence today and was actually happy to see some extra people in there. He is such a sweetheart, we always have a good time talking with him. He asked to see my computer so I let him bum around on it while his laptop got an antivirus update. Joshua turned to me and said, “Dr. Kanu wants to marry your computer.” I thought that was pretty funny and told Dr. Kanu that he couldn’t marry it since I needed it for my homework. He gave me a weird look and Joshua tapped my on the shoulder. “Caitlin. Dr. Kanu wants to ADMIRE your computer.” My ears have gotten me into some interesting situations here--apparently I am no good at deciphering conversations in different accents. Or any accent for that matter.

 

            Back at the flat we took time to enjoy dinner and conversation and Adrie and I watched Empire Records on her laptop before we had to turn off the generator. I love 90s music! And fashion. Why don’t guys wear flannel shirts anymore? They’re so amazing! We were super tired once it was over, despite it being 9:15, and went to sleep. I have a fear my sleeping pattern is going to be thrown off for months once I get home...

No comments: